Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Sharing the Wealth...

Americans are the most generous people in the world. Where there's need, you will find Americans there trying to fill it. Haiti Earthquake, Chili Earthquake, Tsunamis, Famines, War, Epidemics... Nothing keeps us away.

In 2006, I became physically disabled, and have been blessed by all the love, help and support that I received. All my basic needs are well cared for. Food, Housing, Medical, all taken care of.

I decided that I wanted to pay it forward. In 2006, I donated at Thanksgiving to a homeless shelter in Philadelphia. But, that was a one time thing.

I also went everyday to The Hungersite, and I would click each tab on the top to help in all the areas. But, this is free to me. No stretch in being generous here.

On the Michael Medved Show on WNTP 990AM in Philadelphia in May 2008, he was having a sponsorship drive for Children International. For $22 a month, you can sponsor a child in trouble spots around the world.
 
I decided that this was for me, and joined. I adopted a 7 year old girl named Almira in the Philippines. She is 10 now and lives with her father, who is a street vendor, her 12 year old Sister, and 9 year old brother. Her mother has abandoned her family.

Her father earns about $60.00 a month. The money I sponsor Almira with makes sure her most basic needs are met, such as:


I also send extra gifts on her Birthday, Christmas, Easter and other times of the year. The extra contributions go towards household items, home improvements, clothes and other needed things.

I get pictures and hand-written letters periodically. She is a very sweet little girl. I write back through the website. A worker from Children International translates to and from English for her.

I really live close to the bone. But, I feel good paying forward the help I get.

"A generous man will himself be blessed, for he shares his food with the poor."
Proverbs 22:9

I'm already blessed. And, I feel more blessed to be able to make a difference to a child and her family so far away.

1 comment:

  1. Al, I too have been through similar life issues, however, I've donated to many a cause over the years. I've been giving blood sine the 80's and have done artwork and sold it at auctions for various charitys, I did something similar for the Hurricane Katrina victims. I too have been blessed, it's true that if you cast your bread upon the water, after many days it will return to you seven fold. If more people would help out, even in their need, the world would be a much better place to live.

    ReplyDelete